Pacific Nautical Heritage...
- Gallery of Light and Buoy Images
- Gallery of Mariners
- Gallery of Ship Images
- Gallery of Ship Wrecks
- Gallery of Monuments and Statues
- Gallery of Nautical Images
- Gallery of Freshwater Images
- Gallery of New Books
Canadian Naval Topics…
- British Columbia Heritage
- Arctic and Northern Nautical Heritage
- Western Canada Boat and Ship Builders
- Gallery of Arctic Images
- Reflections on Nautical Heritage
- British Columbia Heritage
Looking for more? Search for Articles on the Nauticapedia Site.
The University Naval Training Division (UNTD)
For twenty five years the Royal Canadian Naval Reserve University Naval Training Division (UNTD) trained university students and turned them into naval officers.
Life at the basic training base at Cornwallis NS was rigorous and exhausting. Here is a detailed look at the minute by minute schedule that drove every day of training.
Bill Clearihue has taken on the daunting task of tracking down all the former members of the University Naval Training Division – 8,000 young Canadians who trained with the Canadian naval reserve from 1943’1968. He has created a Nominal List which begins the process of sharing the huge body of information on this little–known unit that he has uncovered. He also shares a list of examples of former members who achieved career successes (which many of them attributing it to a good grounding gained during their naval training).
Hugh Williamson (UNTD Scotian 1966) found two original documents relating to the UNTD that members will find interesting. The first is the recruiting booklet that many members will have referenced when they made the decision to join. The second document is a rare copy of the ‘official history’ which was supposed to help UNTDs understand the genesis of the program. John Scott provided one from his collection from much earlier.
- UNTD Recruiting Booklet 1960c (courtesy Hugh Williamson)
- UNTD Recruiting Booklet 1951 (courtesy John Scott)
- UNTD history 1963 (pdf).
A personal experience in the Royal Canadian Naval Reserve University Naval Training Division (UNTD) in the last intake serving 1966–1968.
Bill Clearihue has developed and updated a Nominal List of the University Naval Training Division (UNTD) of the Royal Canadian Naval Reserve which contains the names of more than 6,000 former members and details of their service. Other lists available from him detail the former members known to be deceased and a list of former members who achieved positions of note in their civilian or military careers. Clearihue will update these lists from time’to’time and they will be updated on this site.
- UNTD –Nominal List (Interactive Currently Updated)
- UNTD –VIP List (Alphabetical) Updated 01/08/2015
- UNTD –VIP List (Titles) Updated 01/08/2015
- UNTD –Deceased (Alphabetical List) Updated 01/02/2017
- UNTD –Deceased (Chronological List) Updated 01/02/2017
New Nauticapedia Book Just Published!
Volume Four in series
The Nauticapedia List of British Columbia's Floating Heritage Volume Four
For more information …
Site News: Aug 28th, 2018
Databases have been updated and are now holding 55,238 vessel histories (with 5,108 images) and 58,142 mariner biographies (with 3,618 images).