Ship details:

Princess Mary

Vessel image


New Nauticapedia Book Just Published!

Volume Four in series

The Nauticapedia List of British Columbia's Floating Heritage Volume Four

Book — British Columbia's Floating Heritage
For more information …

Site News: Aug 28th, 2018

Databases have been updated and are now holding 55,238 vessel histories (with 5,108 images) and 58,142 mariner biographies (with 3,618 images).

Registry #1 126950 Registry #2 Registry #3
Name 1 1910 Princess Mary Name 5
Name 2 1952 Bulk Carrier No. 2 Name 6
Name 3 Name 7
Name 4 Name 8
Year Built 1910 Place Paisley Area Scotland Country UK
Designer (nk) Measurement (imp) 248.4' x 40.1' x 14'
Builder Bow McLachlan & Co., Paisley Scotland UK Measurement (metric)
Hull Steel Displacement
Gross Tonnage 2155 Type 1 Passenger vessel
Registered Tonnage 1346 Type 2 Barge
Engine 194hp Triple expansion 6-cylinder engine Engine Manufacture Bow McLachlan & Co., Paisley Scotland UK
Repower Propulsion Screw
Rebuilds In 1913 she was lengthened and converted to oil fuel at Yarrows Ltd., Esquimalt BC 2155gt. Call Sign VFB
Pendant  # Masters
In 1910 she was owned by Canadian Pacific Railway Steamship Services, Montreal QC. In 1950 she was hulked and she was owned by Island Tug & Barge Co., Victoria BC. Her upper deck was pulled ashore and turned into a coffe shop by Morris Greene. Run by Dusty Miller it was later a popular seafood restaurant.
Fate Registry closed Date 1954-00-00
Named Features
Significance of Name
On September 21, 1910 she was sponsored by Mrs. Pritchard (daughter of the Manager of the CPR S.S. Lines.) In 1911 she arrived in Victoria BC via the Straits of Magellan. In 1911 she was put on the Victoria-Nanaimo-Comox service. In 1926 she was cruising around Vancouver Island. In May 1950 she replaced the Motor Princess on the Sunday route in the Gulf Islands. She called at every Gulf Island except South Pender Island. In 1951 she was retired and replaced by the Princess Elaine (which being larger required larger berthing facilities). Her upperworks had been moved ashore in 1952 by Island Tug & Barge Co. adjacent to their Victoria wharf and offices and converted into a coffee shop. In 1952 she was sold to Union Steamships Co. Ltd as a barge, superstructure removed to become a restaurant in Victoria BC. On April 15, 1954 she broke off tow from tug Chelan and sank off Cape Decision AK.
Musk, George (1981); Transportation Safety Board of Canada (1993); Canada List of Shipping; MacFarlane, John M. (1990) Capital Iron: Scrap dealers in Lotusland. In Resolution (Newletter of the Maritime Museum of British Columbia); Sooke Region Museum (1989); List of Shipping Casualties Resulting in Total Loss in British Columbia and Coastal Waters Since 1897 (undated manuscript document);
Last update

© 2002-2018