Ship details:

Merry Chase (H.M.C.S.)

Vessel image

Photo: John MacFarlane

New Nauticapedia Book Just Published!

Volume Four in series

The Nauticapedia List of British Columbia's Floating Heritage Volume Four

Book — British Columbia's Floating Heritage
For more information …

Site News: October 15th, 2017

Databases have been updated and are now holding 50,143 vessel histories (with 4,319 images) and 57,540 mariner biographies (with 3,421 images).


Registry #1 155235 Registry #2 CN FY.46 Registry #3
IMO# MMSI# VRN#
 
Name 1 1929 Merry Chase Name 5
Name 2 1942 Merry Chase (H.M.C.S.) Name 6
Name 3 1946 Merry Chase Name 7
Name 4 Name 8
 
Year Built 1929 Place Steveston Area BC Country Canada
 
Designer Yasujiro Nakade Measurement (imp) 58.0' x 15.8' x 7.6'
Builder Nakade Boat Works (Yasujiro Nakade) Measurement (metric) 17.68m x 4.82m x 2.32m
Hull Wood Displacement
Gross Tonnage 50.99 Type 1 Fishboat, seiner
Registered Tonnage 43 Type 2 Patrol vessel
Engine 60bhp diesel engine (1929); Engine Manufacture Washington Ironworks, Seattle WA USA
Repower 90hp engine (1947); 170hp engine (1953); Propulsion Screw
Rebuilds Call Sign
Pendant  # FY.46 Masters In 1943 Harold Bunn (Coxswain RCNR) in command with Raymond Fossum (Coxswain RCNR); In 1944 Burt C. Higgs (Skipper RCNR) was in command with Mereon Skibo (Coxswain RCNR (FR))
 
Owner(s)
In 1929-1935 she was owned by Ryotara Kita, Vancouver BC. In 1936-1941 she was owned by Nanaimo Shipyard Ltd., Nanaimo BC. At the start of the Second World War she was seized from Japanese owners for service with the Royal Canadian Navy. In 1942-1946 she was appraised at $11,250 with her ownership transferred to His Majesty the King and commissioned into the Royal Canadian Navy Fisherman's Reserve as Merry Chase (H.M.C.S.) - Canadian Naval Patrol Vessel, Fishermen's Reserve/Calibration Vessel. In 1946 she was owned by Canadian Fishing Co. Ltd., Vancouver BC. In 1947-1966 she was owned by Antony Kirincich, Vancouver BC. In 1967 she was owned by William Lasko, Steveston BC. In 1968-1976 she was owned by Roy A. Clarke, Ladner BC. In 1977 she was owned by Tony Boroevich, Surrey BC. In 1978-1980 she was owned by Ivan J. Uljevic, Richmond BC. In 1982-2004 she was owned by Adria Trading Co. Ltd., Richmond BC. In 2011-2017 she was owned by West Wind Charter Ltd., New Westminster BC.
 
Fate Afloat in 2017 Date
 
Named Features
Significance of Name
 
Anecdotes
In 1943 she was tender to H.M.C.S. Chatham. In 1944 she was tender to H.M.C.S. Givenchy. She was laid up at Bedwell Harbour in Indian Arm BC after the Second World War.
 
References
Harbour & Shipping (Progress Publishing Co. Ltd.) Vol. 12 (1929); Canada List of Shipping; Japanese Fishing Vessels Disposal Committee (December 1942) Report of Japanese Fishing Vessels Disposal Committee. Vancouver BC; Government of Canada The Canadian Navy List Ottawa ON; Freeman, David J. (2000)
Last update
2017-03-01

© 2002-2017