Ship details:

Mamie (II)

Vessel image

Photo:

New Nauticapedia Book Just Published!

Volume Four in series

The Nauticapedia List of British Columbia's Floating Heritage Volume Four

Book — British Columbia's Floating Heritage
For more information …

Site News: October 15th, 2017

Databases have been updated and are now holding 50,143 vessel histories (with 4,319 images) and 57,540 mariner biographies (with 3,421 images).


Registry #1 090807 Registry #2 Registry #3
IMO# MMSI# VRN#
 
Name 1 1887 Mamie (II) Name 5
Name 2 1904 Shamrock (I) Name 6
Name 3 Name 7
Name 4 Name 8
 
Year Built 1887 Place New Westminster Area BC Country Canada
 
Designer Mitchell, John (Seattle WA) Measurement (imp) 76.0' x 19.0' x 7.0'
Builder (nk) Measurement (metric)
Hull Wood Displacement 90
Gross Tonnage 90 Type 1 Tug
Registered Tonnage 61 Type 2
Engine 90hp steam engine (1897) Engine Manufacture
Repower Repowered with triple compound steam engine (1918) Propulsion Screw
Rebuilds Call Sign
Pendant  # Masters Captain Bridgeman (1887); Captain Henry Smith (1897); Captain Newcombe (1905); Captain E.S. Hicks (1926); Captain D. Heritage (1908);
 
Owner(s)
In 1887 she was owned by James Leamy, New Westminster BC. In 1895-1896 she was owned by George Cassady & Co. Ltd. In 1898-1901 she was owned by the Victoria Canning Co. of B.C. Ltd., Victoria BC. In 1903 she was owned by Packers Steamship Co., Vancouver BC. In 1904-1910 she was owned by James Emerson Lumber Co., Vancouver BC. In 1913-1915 she was owned by Vancouver Timber & Trading Co. Ltd., Vancouver BC. In 1917 she was owned by the British Columbia Minister of Lands, Victoria BC. In 1918 she was owned by Albert Berquist, Vancouver BC. In 1918-1919 she was owned by Mrs. William Whalen & George Challeneger, Vancouver BC. In 1921 she was owned by Standard Towing Co. Ltd., Vancouver BC. In 1922-1926 she was owned by Greer Coyle & Associates Towing Co., Vancouver BC.
 
Fate Registry closed Date 1926-12-08
 
Named Features Mamie Rock (BC)
Significance of Name
 
Anecdotes
She was said to have been the first steamer built at New Westminster BC. On 20/01/1896 she was mortgaged by Jonathan Miller (Postmaster of Vancouver BC). As the Mamie she struck Mamie Rock in September 1897 while travelling, under command of Captain Henry Smith, from Quascilla Bay to Rivers Inlet with a cargo of fresh salmon. On 25/07/1908 while under command of Captain D. Heritage towing logs from Nanoose her tail shaft broke. The crew stuffed rags into the gland and the tug Daring towed her to Nanaimo for repairs. In 08/12/1926 she was stranded at Bare Island in Malaspina Strait BC.
 
References
Canada List of Shipping (1898); Walbran, Captain John T. (1909); Transportation Safety Board of Canada (1993); List of Shipping Casualties Resulting in Total Loss in British Columbia and Coastal Waters Since 1897 (undated manuscript document);
Last update
2013-05-16

© 2002-2017