Ship details:

Armentieres (H.M.C.S.)

Vessel image

Photo: Unknown

New Nauticapedia Book Just Published!

Volume Four in series

The Nauticapedia List of British Columbia's Floating Heritage Volume Four

Book — British Columbia's Floating Heritage
For more information …

Site News: November 13th, 2017

Databases have been updated and are now holding 50,543 vessel histories (with 4,571 images) and 57,599 mariner biographies (with 3,482 images).


Registry #1 141341 Registry #2 Registry #3
IMO# MMSI# VRN#
 
Name 1 1918 Armentieres (H.M.C.S.) Name 5 1973 Polaris (I)
Name 2 1947 A.G. Garrish Name 6
Name 3 1958 Arctic Rover Name 7
Name 4 1962 La Force (II) Name 8
 
Year Built 1918 Place Montreal Area QC Country Canada
 
Designer (nk) Measurement (imp) 129.7' x 25.2' x 13'
Builder Canadian Vickers Ltd. Measurement (metric)
Hull Steel Displacement
Gross Tonnage 351 Type 1 Trawler, Battle-class
Registered Tonnage 159 Type 2
Engine 61nhp Steam engine Engine Manufacture
Repower 500hp engine Propulsion Screw
Rebuilds In 1949 she was rebuilt for freight and towing service 800hp engine. Call Sign CY2100
Pendant  # Masters Lt. C.D. Donald RCN (1927); Captain Hill Wilson (1958)
 
Owner(s)
In 1918 she was owned by the Minister of the Naval Service, Ottawa ON. In 1923 she returned to Royal Canadian Navy. In 1926 she was recommissioned as a training ship also doing fishery patrols. In 1946 she was paid off from naval service. In 1947 she was sold to Oswald New (Coastal Towing Co. Ltd.), Vancouver BC. In 1953-1958 she was owned by Andys Bay Industries Ltd., Vancouver BC. In 1958 she was sold to Arctic Transportation Co. Ltd., Edmonton AB. In 1958 under command of Captain Hill Wilson. In 1958 in service between Vancouver, Western Arctic & Mackenzie River. In 1959 she made her last voyage to Arctic. In 1959 placed in log barge service by Kingcome Navigation Co. In 1962 sold to Vancouver Tug Boat Co. Ltd., Vancouver BC. In 1962 she was renamed as La Force.In 1963 she was owned by Vancouver Tug Boat Co., Vancouver BC. In 1972 she was owned by Seaspan International Ltd., Vancouver BC. In 1973 she was sold to Michael Skalley, Seattle WA. In 1972 she was renamed as Polaris. In 1975 she was owned by West Indies Metal Co., St. Croix US Virgin Islands.In 1978 she was owned by E.H.B. Enterprises, Phillipsburg St. Maarten.
 
Fate Registry closed Date
 
Named Features Armentieres Rock (BC);
Significance of Name After A.G. Garrish, formerly Secretary Treasurer of Coastal Towing Co.
 
Anecdotes
In 1952 she placed sixth in Maritime Day tugboat races in Seattle WA and was the only steamer entered. In 1956 under bareboat charter to Island Tug & Barge Ltd. Victoria BC. She carried one 12-pounder gun. She struck Armentieres Rock (uncharted) in Pipestem Inlet, 02/09/1927 under command of LT C.D. Donald RCN. She was refloated 26/10/1927 by the tug Salvage King and recommissioned the following year. She continued in service as a training vessel, with some customs patrols. During World War Two she served as an examination vessel at Prince Rupert. In 1925 she was sunk at Pipestone Inlet BC and raised. In 1978 she was engaged in carry tourists from St. Maarten to St. Barts. In 1980 she was engaged in the drug trade. She was lost somewhere in South America.
 
References
Scott, R.B. (1970); Government of Canada The Canadian Navy List Ottawa ON; Freeman, David J. (2000); Newell, Gordon & Joe Williamson (1957); Photo Courtesy of Nauticapedia Collection;
Last update
2012-09-13

© 2002-2017